Sunday, November 1, 2009

Halloween: A thespians favorite night!

Halloween is not my favorite night, most anyone knows that. I admit in the past I've sat at home and not answered the door. Party pooper, maybe.

I'm a huge advocate of fall festivals at churches and such. I love seeing kids dressed as fairies, pumpkins, etc. But the vampires, brides of Chicky, haunted houses, etc...I could certainly live without! I'm not denying that it's Halloween - I just prefer the 'less scary' avenues of fun...

However, yesterday Marnie and I werer talking and she said she and Carlos were thinking of going to Zoo Boo...oh, and you could wear a costume. Well, anyone who knows me at all knows I love a chance to dress up! So I agreed to go...just so I could dress up! I will admit it wasn't as 'look at the animals aren't they cute' as I'd hoped. The different buildings were turned into haunted houses. I do, however, use that term lightly, as the people were dressed as scary things, but they mostly just jumped out and said, "boo!" or "AHHHH!" They made me jump, and the kids scream, but they weren't THAT scary. However, I did think MORE THAN ONCE -- why would you purposely bring your kid to something like this? Why would you want to PUSH them into a haunted house and have someone jump out and yell at them? Wouldn't the churches trunk or treat or fall festival with games be more fun for them!? Maybe I'm just a boring old person...but...anyway....




I went to my closet and looked through my 'vintage' clothing section. Yes, I have a vintage clothing section in my closet! I have several of Grandma's old dresses, a flapper dress that actually belongs to a friend of mine, and several of Grandmother's old hats and gloves. So, I perused the section and decided on a blue dress of grandmothers, to be worn with a white hat of Grandmoter's. I curled my hair, did my makeup, and was pleased with the result. It was really alot of fun getting to wear things that belonged to my grandmothers...made it more than just 'dressing up'.





We went to boo at the zoo and it was fun to see all the kids dressed up. I actually got several compliments on the hat and dress, and only one "what're you supposed to be?" We went to Chili's afterwards and then I came home, finished reading a script and went to bed!





Things I learned from tonight:





*it's easier to curl my hair with hot sticks when I have the 'yellow' gel





*safety pins = miracle workers





*character shoes come in handy at times other than shows





*the best costumes can be found in your own closet





Here is a not so great picture -- more to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment